Monday 28 May 2012

Book review: The Distant Hours, Kate Norton

This book was passed to me by my mum. I love being passed on books. I don't hold with this new fangled e-book malarcy. The physical book is the thing. To be able to hold a book, to smell it - surely that improves the story tenfold. Mum had read this on holiday, the back of it has a slightly sun tan lotion feel to it and the spine has broke where I imagine it's been put down on a lounger (oh to be on a sun lounger). It's an ideal holiday book.

The Distant Hours follows the same lines as Kate Morton's previous novels, The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden. It's based on events from the 1940s and how they effect those of present day 1990s. As in her other novels its based on an aloof upper-class family. In the beginning this annoyed me. I felt like i had already read it as it was too familiar. But then it took so many unexpected turns I was hooked.

The characters aren't predictable, although the main present day character, I felt needed a good kick up the proverbial. I don't know whether it was intended or not but she was pretty feeble and wouldn't be someone I'd trust with the mystery she unravels.

It's hard to say much about the story as too much will be given away. Its probably better to say if you've read the other novels you will not be disappointed. Get a copy now. Preferably from me, or a friend, or even better, a library. Sit on a sun lounger. Preferably in Cyprus and enjoy.

Next read - A Street Cat Named Bob - James Bowen ... Passed to me by my fantastic neighbour
Xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment